We welcome veterinary students at any stage of their clinical training, however, we find it is frequently of most benefit if students have already seen some general practice before visiting a specialist equine hospital, often during the 3rd and 4th year of studies. During their stay they will have the opportunity to observe and assist with many different aspects of equine medicine and surgery in a vast variety of different horses, ponies and donkeys. Our students are expected to go out on calls with our ambulatory clinicians and the aim is to demonstrate the main and varied aspects of specialist equine practice.
We request that seeing practice students spend two weeks with us for any one booking. We will only accept one such student at any one time to ensure there are the best possible learning opportunities for every trainee that comes to Bell Equine.
Practical details for seeing practice students:
- We will be able to provide a list of Bed & Breakfast type accommodation nearby so that you can make your arrangements in advance.
- There is limited accommodation available within walking distance of the practice in the village of Mereworth, so you must tell us when you book if you do not have your own transport.
- What to bring: respectable work wear that should be suitable for stable yard situations. Students should bring kit appropriate for the season including adequate waterproofs and clean protective clothing, such as coveralls. Scrubs and clogs are provided for wearing in theatre. Respectable jeans are allowed. Sensible protective footwear must be worn at all times and trainers are not permitted.
- No pets or smoking are allowed on site.
- All students are asked to bring their college name badges which are to be worn at all times, whilst working here. If you do not have one please ask the secretaries to provide you with a badge on arrival.
If you would like to apply as a seeing practice student, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org giving a list of the dates that you are available. We would ask that your application is emailed together with two up to date photographs.